Skip to main content

Figure Skating

One foot in School, another in Ice rink.
A girl born in Indian Family, School and Ice rinks are different worlds and academic A takes higher priority. I think I have seen ice skaters from my mom's lap when I was 3 when my brother was skating in the rink and that’s pretty much my relationship with it initially. One day, my brother took me into the ice and left there. As a 3 year old, I fell so many times in the ice and the same moment i fell in love in ice too. I am glad that my parents immediately registered me to the learn to skate program. May be I was too young then, but now I realize that the best way to learn anything is by doing it.

Skating is a fun and enjoyable activity that has the ability to bring joy and excitement to people of all ages. Whether it is ice skating, roller skating, or skateboarding, the feeling of gliding across the surface on wheels is exhilarating and freeing.

For me, figure skating has always been a passion. From the first time I stepped onto the rink or onto my skateboard, I was hooked. The sense of freedom and movement that skating provides is unlike any other. It allows me to let go of my daily worries and to focus on the present moment.

In addition to the enjoyment and fun that skating brings, it also has many physical and mental benefits. It requires balance, coordination, and physical strength, which can be developed and improved through regular practice. Skating can also be a great form of exercise, as it provides a cardiovascular workout and can help to improve overall physical fitness.

Figure Skating is also a great way to socialize and make new friends. Whether it is joining a skating club or just skating with a group of friends, the sense of community and camaraderie that it brings is truly special.

During the course of the journey, I fell many times. But there were a few things different about this fall. First, everyone kept saying it is okay to fall, in fact, you cannot be a good skater if you never fell. So, from the beginning, I was ready to embrace my falls as part of my learning process. Secondly, nobody mocked me for falling, as everyone understood that falling is part of the experience. In fact, all around me, people kept falling, not just first-timers. Lastly, each time I fell, my friends were ever ready to help me up. I believe that this can be extended to practically every other sphere of life. Failure is part of growth, and should not be detested or mocked, but should be embraced.

When I put on my skates for the first time, I could not walk, as it felt so heavy and I was not balanced. My Brother, my coach, held my hand and led me from the changing deck to the ice rink. Since then, different colleagues were helpful in making me understand the workings of the sport. I’d ask them to leave and have fun if it feels that I’m doing fine, and when I get to a sloppy area and feel like I am losing control, I ask for help again, and they were ever ready to help. As we go through different life, we sometimes have challenging moments, and it’s okay to ask for help. Also, when people around us are struggling with something, we should not hesitate to support them. Even a smile, word of encouragement, and assurance that they would eventually be fine goes a very long way.

Overall, figure skating is a passion of mine that brings joy and fulfillment to my life. I believe that figure skating is a major factor on shaping the person I am today and the person I may become in the future. It has gifted me with various life skills and special memories that I know I will keep with me forever.

My Path towards Gold Medalist in USFSA Testing

Moves in the Field

  • Moves in the Field (MIF) are not just about patterns on the ice. Moves are about posture, carriage, flow, power, and quickness. These elements are all considered important when executing a move. Each move emphasizes different aspect of these elements
  • When a skater passes the Senior level MIF test, s/he earns Gold Medalist status in MIF through the USFSA.

Free Skate

  • Free Skate is the area of figure skating that we are most accustomed to seeing on television. Skaters perform spins, jumps and other elements in programs skated to music.
  • When a skater passes the Senior level Free Skate test, s/he earns Gold Medalist status in Free Skate through the USFSA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singing

Singing has always been a prominent aspect of my life. It is my favorite hobby, my stress reliever, and the best self-entertainer. When no one is home, I sing so much that I won’t be able to talk properly for the next few days, but it’s always worth it. My father is a big fan of music director Ilayaraja from India and always sings his songs and he always wanted to me sing Tamil songs. My parents realized that I have a good voice and My parents enrolled me in Carnatic classical music, and I continued classes since I was five. Carnatic singing is a form of classical music that originated in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is characterized by its use of complex melodies and improvisation, and it is typically accompanied by instruments such as the violin, mridangam (a type of drum), and ghatam (a clay pot). Carnatic music is based on a system of ragas, which are melodic patterns that provide the basis for a composition, and talas, which are rhythmic patterns that p

Connecting with the roots

I have studied Tamil Language in  International Tamil Academy   and completed 6th grade. Tamil Language , member of the Dravidian language family, spoken primarily in India. It is the official language of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu and the union territory of Puducherry (Pondicherry). It is also an official language in Sri Lanka and Singapore and has significant numbers of speakers in Malaysia, Mauritius, Fiji, and South Africa. In 2004 Tamil was declared a classical language of India, meaning that it met three criteria: its origins are ancient; it has an independent tradition; and it possesses a considerable body of ancient literature. In the early 21st century more than 66 million people were Tamil speakers. யாதும் ஊரே யாவரும் கேளிர்  தீதும் நன்றும் பிறர்தர வாரா [ "All the places on earth are our town and all the people are our relatives (all are evolved from common ancestors), Bad & Good deeds do not come from others (comes from your Thoughts and actions)" ] Tamil s